Saturday, August 16, 2008

Connecting Dots

Last week, I happened to watch a video clip from you tube which is the address delivered by steve job at Strandford university graduation ceremony.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF8uR6Z6KLc
He explained the connecting dots with the example of his calligraphy class he did and Macintosh computer. He dropped out from the course and decided to take calligraphy class only.
He claimed that "If I had never dropped out, I would have never dropped in on this calligraphy class, and personal computers might not have the wonderful typography that they do. Of course it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward when I was in college. But it was very, very clear looking backwards ten years later. Again, you can't connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backwards. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever"
The main concept that he want to give the graduation students is "just do what you love to do but you won't be able to know when the outcome will come out and what type of result you will get".
Of course he could connect his dots easily since he is a successful man and current CEO of apple. I agree that dots will somehow connect in our future. But my main concern is whether we are able to do what we love to do. What type of courage we need to have to do what we love to do.? So many questions are queuing at my brain.
I am also trying to look at my dots that I may have done past 20 years. I am a bit uncomfortable for not seeing any clear dots. I have another questions again. Do I know what I love to do??
I am sure I didn't know.
Finally, I am not going to be like Steve Job, I am not going to be CEO of apple as well. If Steve Job looks at me, my life seems to be miserable as I even didn't know myself what I love to do. If I have to list down the reasons why I didn't know, again I have to blame it on somebody else we-know-who. I tried not to be reactive but I have strong determinations that I will not be letting my next generations to live in a place where we didn't even know what we love.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, at the first time, just I see your topics 'Connecting Dots' which attracts me a lot and make me serious to read it. Indeed, your presentation of work is so excellent. After reading it, I've to feel like it is getting more prominent the essence of human and escape from the narrow thoughts. Extremely, the main concept of Steve Job could deeply strike to my heart. But, awfully sad, I also didn't have at least one, my dots along my life time. And then, at the same time, I wonder and admire you as choosing this topics to express at your blog. So, I'd like to say 'Thanks' for sharing such kind of valuable topics!

YE MIN WIN said...

You always want to write good comments. Your English is also marvelous. I have been asking you to write a post in my blog. But you are keep silent to write a post.

Unknown said...

brother.. believe me ,in the end, everyone will sure get a place of their owns.

come on, new post ... plzzz :P